Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Sense of Space

Do you visit a gallery before submitting a show proposal?

Sometimes that's a hard thing to do, especially if the gallery is far away. But it can be so very beneficial to do so if the opportunity presents itself.

On my “To Do” list is an entry to submit to a gallery in Wisconsin. I have been there before, so visiting isn’t necessary, right? I also have the work in mind for the space. So again, should be a no brainer, right?

Wrong for me, in this instance.

I happen to be in Minnesota prior to the proposal deadline. Not an accident on my part. Going to the gallery one more time, which isn’t far from here, felt right. I’ve got some new works in the mix and didn’t know exactly which work to submit. The new? The established work? Or a combination of both?

So this is what I did:

I set aside a day to go to the gallery. When I got there I walked in quietly and with an open mind. I had an idea of which work would fit the space, but I remained open to other possibilities.

I took my time. I moved through the space repeatedly and looked at it from different angles.

And softly, slowly, the show emerged. I knew what work to use and where to put it.

This, I must tell you, was different from what I had originally planned.

I am so glad I went. The show proposal will be stronger for that visit.

So my advice, if you are at all able to do so, is to take a walk through the gallery you have in mind and see what emerges. I think you’ll be happy you did.

And let me know how it goes, okay?

In the meantime, may your day be a creative one!

No comments: