Monday, July 11, 2011

Q and A Mondays- Are you a 2D or 3D artist? Or both?



I recently wrote in my sketchbook, “I am a 3D artist.”

That statement came after a show in which I had both 2D and 3D work and I felt the 2D didn’t hold up to the 3D work.

It is a train of thought I have considered before.

Am I one or the other?

Need I be one or the other?

I know we artists all struggle with multiple personalities in our work and it is important for the work to be consistent, but does that mean it must be only 2D or 3D? Or does a consistent theme trump all else, no matter what the materials or method of making?

I think the latter is correct.

But, I could use your feedback.

What do you think? And do you struggle with similar thoughts?

10 comments:

Jenny said...

I am not sure you want to limit yourself to one theme. I am at the beginning of my artistic journey, so I am all over the place. Still searching for my "thing." I think my themes will narrow over years of hard work, but I also think it is good to step back and do something different. You took a risk by doing the 2D work when you usually do 3D. Taking risks is a good thing too!

Kim Radatz said...

Jenny,

You are so right, taking risks is a good thing! Which I will continue doing, though I gotta say, I swan dive a few more times than I aught to. :-D

Thanks so much for your input.

Kim

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

I figure that the message--the theme--will usually find a way to poke its head out, so I agree with you on the latter choice. 2-D, 3-D, and skywriting! All good!

Kim Radatz said...

Laura,

Love the skywriting part! And yes, the theme should be there, if I am doing my job correctly, that is. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

margaret said...

hi... im testing my google sign-in kim

Chad Wooters said...

In architecture school the professors advised us to "think in three dimension" while drawing.

Kim Radatz said...

Margaret-it worked. Woo Hoo for you! Glad to see you here. And thanks for the nice comment on the 4th dress installation. It was a fun show, held in a vacant clothing store. I got the dressing rooms, perfect for me.

Kim Radatz said...

Chad,

Interesting advice. Words to think on.

Thanks for stopping in!

margaret said...

i have long since stopped struggling with that and pretty much do what i want....more of your thinking out loud please!margaret

Kim Radatz said...

Good attitude, Margaret, and something I should do myself!

I don’t want to inundate people with too many posts, lets they consider me a pest. Much more to come, so check back later today and this weekend.