Tuesday, November 30, 2010

More on Melanie

I know you have seen this piece before, but it has come up in conversation so much lately that I gotta share it with you again.
Melanie,
Kim Radatz©
Here is how it played out, (pun intended):


I remembered the song from long ago and was inspired to do a dress using the song/title after finding a pair of vintage roller skates earlier this year.
the inspiration


The dress was in a show at C. Emerson Fine Art in St. Petersburg, Florida in September.


A friend of Melanie Safka, the singer that penned and sang the song, was at the opening and told me that Melanie formerly lived in Pinellas County (I don’t remember the exact city, but it wasn’t far from where the gallery is located). The friend took a picture of my piece to send to Melanie, who now lives out of state.

And now, this new HP printer commercial has prompted my family and friends to contact me to say, “Isn’t that the same song…..?”

If you haven’t seen the commercial yet, take a look. It’ll put a smile on your face.

All of this brings me around to say that now, as the year comes to a close, I have been having nice chats with family members and friends about the song, about life, about us in general. From one little song.  From long ago. It’s a good thing. Something more to be thankful about.

I wonder if Melanie feels it too.

No comments: