Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Do You Have The Creative Habit?

I was at the courthouse for jury duty all day on Monday and the book I chose to take with me was The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp. If you have not read the book I suggest you run, not walk to purchase this fantastic book. I read it first years ago and it is a book I could read again and again. I never tire of it.

In her own words she says, “More than anything, this book is about preparation. In order to be creative you have to know how to prepare to be creative.” We might be inclined toward something, as I believe I am with art, while my twin is not. But I was not born with the skills to be an artist, just the inclination. It has taken me years of study to get to where I am today. Studying different methods, ideas, and materials. Practicing and failing, but also garnering gems from what didn’t work out to try again in a different way.

I think that is why some artists answer, “My entire life,” to the oft asked question, “How long did it take you to make/paint that piece?” There is nothing flippant about the statement. It really is a true.

But I highly recommend taking time out of your productive day to check out this book. I think you’ll find it worth your time.

I hope your day is a creative one!

No comments: