Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do You Do it Too?

I worked on some mixed media pieces to match décor this week and my Artist Within that likes angst was up in arms. In my head I kept hearing, “You shouldn’t make art that matches a sofa!”

Also, a friend recently voiced apologetically that she was painting a room to match her art. These “shoulds” gotta go. What we should never do is feel guilty about any creativity we participate in. Our life should be full of joy, not guilt. So, I’m making the choice to ignore my inner artist as she obviously has some issues of her own that she needs to work out.

For me, I’m gonna keep making whatever interests me at the moment. There will be a lesson in all work that I do and I don’t want to miss those lessons because I was feeling guilty.

Those “shoulds,” and the ensuing guilt that comes with them, kill creativity. Don’t let them in. And when they do creep in from time to time, get rid of them as soon as possible. Honor your own special creativity and your true voice will emerge.

On that happy note, I hope you have a creative day!


Fruitful Life, 2011
Kim Radatz©


No comments: